Monday, April 1, 2013

Please Mariners Dont Fail Me Again



I think the Mariner’s lack of success has finally gotten to me. Eleven years without a playoff appearance and nine years of being outscored by the opponents has left me entering the 2013 season with the lowest level of excitement I can remember. I am struggling to see how this year’s team has a chance to compete. 

I know there are better players this year and the fences have been moved in, but we have had signs of improvement in the past only to finish on the outside looking in again. Remember 2004 and 2010? Both years we expected to compete and both years we lost 99+ games. All the years a disappointment and terrible personnel moves has put me teetering on the edge of becoming a Mariners pessimist. All it will take is another disappointing last place finish and I will be over the cliff. And once I go there it will be an unbelievably difficult task to pull myself back into the world of optimism or even realism. 

So, as a preventative measure, I ask the 2013 Mariners to not fail us again. Don’t waste ten Felix Hernandez pitching gems by only scoring one run. Don’t wait until July to cut a struggling old veteran just because he might turn it around. Don’t trade away a promising young player for a reliever on the hopes he will help you make the playoffs.  And whatever you do don’t let the Astros surprise the league and finish ahead of us.

1 comment: