Tuesday, July 30, 2013

FIFA Law 11 - A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to this opponents goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent.
Although I didnt always, I now understand the technical definition of the offsides rule. That is to say I understand when a player is offsides and when he is not. After watching several world cup, international and MLS matches, I even understand why it is a rule. Again I didnt always understand this. It seemed like by simply removing this restrictive rule the sport could increase scoring and bring in more American fans. But even with all this soccer growth and enlightment, man it can be infuriating.

Did you watch the video? If not watch it. On Sunday during a tightly contested match against Chivas USA, the Sounders Brad Evans shot and appear to score a goal that would have put his team up by 2 with 24 minutes to play. This would have basically wrapped up the game. Instead Evan's goal was negated because he was slightly offsides. When I say slightly I mean slightly. He couldn't have been more than two feet forward of "the second to last opponent."

It seems to me that in times like this when the offensive player is clearly not cherry picking, the offsides rule shouldn't apply. MLS should consider changing the rule so that it only applies to outside the goal box. This would be similar to the offsides rule in hockey. It would let plays like Evan's almost goal count. It would make soccer way more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment