Saturday, December 7, 2013

The dichotomy between Seattle two major professional sports teams (sorry Sounders, despite your awesomeness, MLS isn’t a major sport, yet) is stunning. The Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll and General Manager John Schneider have created a high quality, fun to watch football team that looks to be a power for years to come. Because of their success, easy to root for players and their approach to the game the Seahawks fan raised my fandom to a whole different level, as I mentioned in an earlier post. On the flipside, the Seattle Mariners have experienced a decade of losing. During that time their front office has been generally incompetent. They have built a unique level of fandom for their few remaining supporters as well; one of complete and total cynicism and distrust of all the moves they make.

Take for example the recent $240 million dollar 10 year deal for All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano. Instead of being excited or optimistic about the deal, I instinctively assume it is the wrong decision and is doomed to fail. All I can think about is how Cano will be 41 years old when the deal ends and how the team will most likely be handicapped by that enormous contract during its second half. Why didn't they just make it five years? Get out while he is 36.

It isnt fair. I should be thinking happy thoughts about how my favorite baseball team (and for years favorite any sport team) just signed perhaps the best offensive second basemen in MLB history. I should be thinking about how this opens the door to other big name free agent signings. It shows the whole sport that Seattle is serious about winning and somewhere that stars should want to play. I should be dreaming of Baseball Tonight top ten lists, All-star games and playoffs. But, I am not. Instead the Mariners decade of failure has chiseled me into a sad, cynic of a fan.

Seriously, could the Mariners fan part of my mind be more different than that of my Seahawks part? I don't think so. Hopefully Robinson Cano can change that, but something tells me he won't.


No comments:

Post a Comment