Monday, May 24, 2010

The Perils of NBA Fandom

As I'm sure you are all painfully aware, the Seattle Supersonics don't exist anymore. Yes, the team sadly could not draw enough fans in its short 40 year existence, and never had any truly influential players besides Jack Sikma, Dennis Johnson, Fred Brown, Spencer Haywood, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Nate McMillan, and Detlef Schrempf.

Regardless of my opinions on the Supersonics, my fandom has been on a wayward journey, searching for something new. So far, I've whet my appettite by rooting for the Blazers and Mavericks, but never truly felt any connection to either. As such, I have decided to open it up to you, the reader, to help me decide my new NBA team. Below are the various pluses and minuses I see for each, but feel free to make your argument in the comments. I plan on unveiling my new choice in the coming weeks.

Atlanta Hawks: Seattle connection with Marvin Williams and Jamal Crawford, plus they're crazy exciting.
Boston Celtics: There is no good reason to root for the Boston Celtics.
Charlotte Bobcats: Grandparents live near there, plus I like defense.
Chicago Bulls: Joakim Noah is hilarious.
Cleveland Cavaliers: Bandwagoning is always fun, and Craig Ehlo played there!
Denver Nuggets: A very exciting offensive team, and tattoos make people cool.
Dallas Mavericks: Nobody tries harder and is more fun than Mark Cuban and Dirk.
Detroit Pistons: Stuckey used to beat my high school a lot I guess?
Golden State Warriors: LOOK HOW FAST MONTA ELLIS IS!!!!
Houston Rockets: Everybody loves the team that wins by weird statistical analysis.
Indiana Pacers: Uh, Troy Murphy?
Los Angeles Clippers: Baron Davis is hilarious and we bearded folk stick together.
Los Angeles Lakers: Everybody loves a winner. Also, everyone loves DJ Mbenga.
Miami Heat: Because nobody can resist Michael Beasley's fro.
Memphis Grizzlies: Mayo and Gay are funny names.
Minnesota Timberwolves: Kevin Love is adorable when he thinks he can play basketball.
Milwaukee Bucks: I like defense. I like foreign players. Perfect fit?
New Jersey Nets: We Americans traditionally love mysterious Russians, right?
New York Knicks: Mike D'Antoni makes sure both teams score a couple hundred.
New Orleans Hornets: David West went to Xavier, and I like Xavier.
Orlando Magic: Well dunks are fun, and threes are fun, so....
Oklahoma City Thunder: Just kidding, fuck them.
Phoenix Suns: Steve Nash is the funniest and/or best Canadian ever born.
Portland Trailblazers: Lots of Seattle connections, plus I live in Oregon most of the year.
Philadelphia 76ers: I'll have to pay attention enough to know who's on their roster.
San Antonio Spurs: Defense. Defense. George Hill, IUPUI alum. Defense.
Sacramento Kings: Hawes AND Brockman? AND the worst coach in NBA history!?
Toronto Raptors: Sometimes absolutely no defense at all is fun too.
Utah Jazz: Because I'm white.
Washington Wizards: I'm a gun enthusiast?

1 comment:

  1. Well if you are ready to give up on the Blazers so soon, might I suggest the Memphis Grizzlies? Like you said they are an exciting team. With such stars as Trevor Ariza, Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo and JJ Barea. They lost in the conference finals last year to the Lakers and are looking to rebound after a strong draft. The general manager... wait... that is my NBA2K10 team.

    How about you just stick with the Mavs and Blazers. Those are two quality teams with good players and a strong fan base.

    ReplyDelete