Saturday, June 12, 2010

The First FIFA World Cup Post on this Blog!

June 11th marked the first day of play in the 2010 FIFA world cup in South Africa. The first game was a 1-1 tie between Mexico and South Africa. The second game was a 0-0 tie between France and Uraguay. Two ties in two games. After seeing the results from those two games it struck me, "what if nobody wins any games in the pool play? What if all the games are ties? Does the whole world win?"

Thankfully, on the second day of play somebody actually won a game, blowing away these thoughts of world equality from my mind. Korea beat Greece 2-0. I would like to be the first to wish Korea congratulations on their victory. I didn't see the game but I assume the Greek team didn't actually play in solidarity with their countrymen in protest of their government expecting them to actually work.

Also on the second day, the USA will play England. Everyone should watch this game. The USA is led by skilled mid-fielder's Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey. England features some of the world's best players like Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard. The clash should be epic. I personally will be rooting for Hercules Gomez to score like 11 goals because his name is awesome. U-S-A, U-S-A...

3 comments:

  1. For the record, Gomez spells it "Herculez" and has a brother named Ulysses. Best family ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that after I posted. I had it spelled with a Z and blogspot corrected me. I should have corrected blogspot.

    ReplyDelete