Saturday, June 26, 2010

The World Cup Sucks Now

Well, I tried my best to really care about the World Cup this year. I watched games, I learned players and formations, I didn't laugh every time I heard the name "Kaka." But now, the U.S. has gone and lost. Sadly, it seemed the U.S. was never able to play consistently and played down to its competition. Ghana capitalized on this, as I was afraid they would.

And so, it ends. Yes, the U.S. won its group and had set itself up for a fairly easy round of eight game, but they looked ahead, as us American sports fans often do. Shame on us. Now, we must wait four years until we have another chance at such a prestigious and interesting sporting event, stewing in the filth of our loss.

Wait, what's that? We have our OWN soccer league? AND ones for baseball, hockey, and basketball?

Dear the World Cup, you are no longer needed. You're trivial thrills and hilarious uniforms no longer interest us. If you'll excuse us, we have a baseball season to follow. Enjoy your world championship, Uruguay.

Sincerely,
The United States of America

No comments:

Post a Comment