Friday, June 18, 2010

The Shoe is on the Other Foot

I'm slowly learning soccer. As much as I disagree with the entire idea of the offsides call and hate how much some of these players flop, I understand it. What I do not understand is the call against Maurice Edu.

I'm sure by now you've seen the disallowed goal from the U.S.A-Slovenia game. If you know even the basic rules of soccer, you can tell that in no way was their any foul or violation against the U.S.A. What makes it even worse is that the ref still has not even stated WHAT the foul was.

Go ahead and read that again. The U.S.A. had to settle for a tie rather than a comeback for the ages (no team had ever come back from a 2-0 deficit at the half in the World Cup) because one ref decided it. There was absolutely no reason why, and no reason has been given.

Now, I like to think of myself as fairly rational. I understand bad calls happen, and they always will. But this is unlike anything I've seen since the Seahawks Super Bowl victory. This is unconsciable. These referees are supposed to be the greatest in the world, yet how can one claim to be among the best when they don't even know what foul they called?

Luckily, this shouldn't hurt the U.S.A. too much. With a win against Algeria (and an expected loss to England by Slovenia), the U.S.A. should still advance. However, if this costs the U.S.A. a spot in the knockout round well... that ref should be happy we aren't the Brazilians, or he'd already be dead.

1 comment:

  1. So, I finally saw the bad call today while I was watching the DVR recording of the game. It was just terrible! The only possible foul I saw was the Slovenian player bear hugging our player. The commentator was funny after the game. He didn't care about not being bias.

    ReplyDelete